Saturday 7 July 2007

hiatal hernia

from Dr Kita, chiropractor and KST practitioner:

I had a 71 yo man come in my office with a hiatel hernia. He asked me if I could help with it and I said sure. I never adjusted anybody with a hiatel hernia, but I remembered in the workbook an article by Dr. Wayne Rebarber about hiatel hernia. I just followed what he said. Push up below the xiphoid and check. I got a yes, then asked him to take a deep breath and then exhale. On exhalation 1 tap superior to inferior with the arthrostim. Then, I used the same line of drive but 2 inches on each side. I rechecked for anything else for the hiatel hernia and got a no.

He came in a week later and reported to me that he went home and the hernia really hurt for a short time then the pain disappeared. The hernia hasn't bothered him since.

note:

An estimated 50 percent of people over forty years of age have hiatal hernias. However, many people are unaware of the condition. Small hernias rarely cause any trouble. It is the larger hernias that are most often linked to reflux problems. Ulcers often accompany a hiatal hernia. The acid reflux may lead to ulceration of the esophagus. Ulcers can also occur in the duodenum (the top of the small intestine) or the stomach.

SIGNS & SYMPTOMS

Most people with a sliding hiatal hernia have no symptoms, and it is often diagnosed when a person is being evaluated for other health concerns. However, if the LES moves above the diaphragm, it may not close well, and stomach acid and juices may back into the esophagus (acid reflux). This results in an uncomfortable feeling of burning, warmth, heat, or pain behind the breastbone (sternum). This may occur after eating, soon after lying down, or when bending forward, and may come and go. You may also have a sour or bitter taste in your mouth and belching. This group of symptoms is commonly known as heartburn or reflux. Coughing up of bloody mucus may occur when the esophagus become irritated.

Other symptoms may include:
Fullness in the upper abdomen after a meal.
Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) or a sensation of a lump in the throat (globus sensation).
Regurgitation (not reflux) of stomach juices and nausea.
A hoarse voice.

1 comment:

Davey said...

I actually have every symptom of hiatal hernia on your page, it has unfortunately never been medically diagnosed even after countless tests. The best that they could come up with is possible GERD...I am wondering if it would be wise to see a chiropractor instead? My massage therapist actually dicovered it without a mention from me. But she suggested I seek medical help. After countless tests still no diagnosis. Confused...